Currency of West Africa: West African CFA franc, today's rate Fr
The West African CFA Franc is the currency used in the following 7 countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Niger, Senegal, Togo, Guinea-Bissau. The code of West African CFA franc is XOF. We use Fr as symbol of West African CFA franc. The West African CFA Franc is divided in 100 centimes. XOF is regulated by Central Bank of West African .
Did you know:
- The most popular conversions of West African CFA franc are
- the West African CFA franc was introduced in 24 Nov 1958 (63 years ago).
- There are 9 coins for the West African CFA franc ( Fr1 , Fr5 , Fr10 , Fr25 , Fr50 , Fr100 , Fr200 , Fr250 and Fr500 ),
- the West African CFA franc has 5 banknotes ( Fr500 , Fr1000 , Fr2000 , Fr5000 and Fr10000 )
More information: currency converter.
XOF-XAF: The CFA franc, another French currency
The CFA franc is still used today in 14 African states and 3 French collectivities in the Pacific:
- 8 countries have common banknotes and use the specific code XOF: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo
- 6 countries have their own banknotes and use the specific code XAF: Cameroun, the Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, the Republic of the Congo, Chad and Gabon
- the 3 French collectivities: French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna and New Caledonia use the code XPF.
The XOF and the XAF are on the same par.
The CFA franc was founded on December 26, 1945, the day when France ratified the Bretton Woods Accords to restore French monetary authority in these regions at the time. 1 French franc was worth 50 CFA francs at the time.
CFA stands for «Communauté Financière Africaine» (African Financial Community)
In 1958, the CFA franc became the «franc of the French Community of Africa». With the wave of independence, the CFA franc wavered for «ideological» reasons, but the listing of the French franc required the countries to keep the monetary system.
Nowadays for XOF countries, CFA stands for the franc of the «African Financial Community», but for XAF countries, it means «Financial Cooperation in Central Africa».
|West African CFA franc to Sierra Leonean leone||1 XOF = 18.7479 SLL|
|West African CFA franc to South African rand||1 XOF = 0.0267 ZAR|
|West African CFA franc to Pakistani rupee||1 XOF = 0.3030 PKR|
|West African CFA franc to UAE dirham||1 XOF = 0.0065 AED|
|West African CFA franc to euro||1 XOF = 0.0015 EUR|
|West African CFA franc to Saudi riyal||1 XOF = 0.0067 SAR|
|West African CFA franc to British pound||1 XOF = 0.0013 GBP|
|West African CFA franc to Bangladeshi taka||1 XOF = 0.1527 BDT|
|West African CFA franc to Malaysian ringgit||1 XOF = 0.0075 MYR|
|West African CFA franc to Kuwaiti dinar||1 XOF = 0.0005 KWD|